Friday, July 31, 2009

Cube Steak Mania!

To give you a idea of why this was such a big deal...I haven't eaten a cube steak in over three years. But I had this recipe, and I couldn't resist trying it out, and so I made it. My fiancee was convinced that I'd lost my mind, asking him to buy cube steak when we went to the store, but he obliged.

Cube Steak Dijonnase

2 12 ounce cube steaks
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/3 cup dry vermouth
1/2 cup whipping cream or half and half
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard

Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks in single layer and cook until browned, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.

Transfer to work surface; cut each steak in half.

Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sage, saute until soft, about 30 seconds.

Add vermouth; boil until slightly reduced, about 30 seconds. Stir in cream and mustard.

Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide steaks among plates, spoon sauce over top, and serve.

Busch's Market Recipe Card

I won't lie to you. I substituted my butt off for this recipe. I couldn't find sage, so I substituted thyme. I forgot to get Vermouth. Google recommended that I use a dry white wine, white grape juice or chicken stock. I didn't have any of the three, so I substituted Bourbon. I didn't have half and half, so I substituted milk with a generous amount of butter. And I didn't have whole grain Dijon mustard either.

So basically, I took the idea, and made it my own. :D

First time I've eaten a cube steak in three years! It actually gave me a little bit of anxiety, but I did it!

And the sauce makes good pan gravy for mashed potatoes too!

No comments:

Post a Comment