Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flint, Michigan. Gourmet Cooking. Who Knew?

I was recently in Flint, Michigan, and there is a smoking awesome little store called Oliver T's. If you ever find yourself having a occasion to go there, by all means - do!

They have an aisle of desserts that I love to just wander around. They carry desserts (when I say desserts, I mean cookies, not cakes, or anything major) from most every major nation, and they have them seperated out on the shelf so you know what comes from where. The German desserts are all seperated out from the Italian ones, which are seperated from the Israli ones, and the French ones, and even the US and Canadian ones. Although in the Canadian section, they've actually got Oreo's, which leads me to think that the Canadians have most of the same stuff we do, if they were reaching that far in the bag. :)

They also have just about every drink you could think of. Every beer, every wine, even bottled drinks I've never even heard of before. Pinot Nior soda? Kid you not. It's a real thing.

I met a lady that made me laugh too. She was worth the trip alone! We decided that they had a special buffet style lunch that day, we may as well have a seat and eat something. The food was all Greek.

This older lady behind me in line looks at the Spinach Pie tray, scoffs, and goes "I guess that's the NEW version of spinach pie!" It took all I could do to not fall over laughing at her. Terrific, that lady!

At any rate, the reason I got the most excited for the trip to Oliver T's was the custom spice bar. They have a custom spice bar, where you can buy the amount of spice that you need - like, if you only need 1 teaspoon of chili powder, why have to buy three or four ounces, right? I got so stoked, because I found Chipotle Chili Powder on the bar. I've been wanting to make Bobby Flay's 16 Spice Rub for a long time, and I thought I'd finally chased down one of the elusive chili powders. Alas, apparently I didn't. Now my hunt for pasilla chili powder begins. Oy.

I do much, much recommend Oliver T's. They take orders online, so you can order from them, even if you don't have occasion to find yourself in Flint.

Oh, and FYI dads? They are doing strawberry dipping for kids. Chocolate covered strawberries? High five for a built in mothers day present!

Check it out online:

Oliver T's

Wine Country Soda

No comments:

Post a Comment